Right now I am gathering writers in this chat room in order to perform a series of writing races.
What is a writing race?
- A writing race is a 10, 15, or 20 minute timed race during which participants write as much as they can as fast as they can on whatever their chosen story is.
- At the end, each participant posts the total word count they gained for the race. A total wordcount for the event will be kept.
Why writing races?
- A lot of people get hung up on making sure that every word in every sentence is perfect, or get stuck on the idea that they don’t know where to go. Writing races often help people move past that by making the writing about how many instead of how perfect.
- Often writing races help writers get something to work with, something which we can then revise later. This can help break “writer’s block” and “in a rut” feelings by moving writers forward in their stories.
Who is able to join a writing race?
- Anyone! Come on in!
Where and how can I participate?
- Just [CLICK HERE] and you’ll be in the chatroom we’re using!
- Once you join, wait for someone else to say something, or else you will interrupt the current race! You’ll be able to join the next race when we begin!
When will this happen?
- Now to ??
What are the rules?
- When you join, please respect that there may be an ongoing race, and stay quiet until someone else speaks or the person timing calls STOP. Then you can join in talking!
- While races are happening, please remain silent in chat so that no one is interrupted and the call for STOP can be recognized. We may create a secondary room for those who are skipping a race to take a break and chatter.
- You may write whatever you want- we won’t be seeing (most of) what you write, just the number of words you write. I think most of us will be writing Teen Wolf, but sometimes people write original fiction, too. Whatever makes you happy!
- Play nice
- Have fun
And that’s it! Hope to see you there!!